Monday 19 September 2011

Quinoa

Even before I became vegan, I remember asking my dad to get me some quinoa at St. Lawrence Market. I love the nutty flavour and you can eat it on its own or mix it with veggies, seeds, goji berries and a touch of sesame seed oil. DELICIOUS!

Quinoa - pronounced keen-wah was once called "the gold of the Incas," who recognized its value in increasing the stamina of their warriors. Not only is quinoa high in protein, but the protein it supplies is complete protein, meaning that it includes all nine essential amino acids. Not only is quinoa's amino acid profile well balanced, making it a good choice for vegans concerned about adequate protein intake, but quinoa is especially well-endowed with the amino acid lysine, which is essential for tissue growth and repair. In addition to protein, quinoa features a host of other health-building nutrients. Because quinoa is a very good source of manganese as well as a good source of magnesium, iron, copper and phosphorus, this "grain" may be especially valuable for persons with migraine headaches, diabetes and atherosclerosis.

You cook quinoa the same way to cook rice. First you have to rinse well. Then for each measure of quinoa, you double the water. Boil and 20 minutes later it's ready. You can use vegetable stock instead of water for some more flavour if you want.
I love quinoa salad! And one of my favorite salads is tabouleh, so instead of using bulgur wheat, I used quinoa instead. And it's awesome:

bunch of italian parsley, nice and clean, chopped
1 big sweet onion, chopped
a handful of mint, chopped (I have lots in my garden!)
1 cucumber, chopped
2 cups of cooked quinoa
juice of 2 lemons
olive oil (2tbsp)
himalayan salt
pepper

yummmmmmers!!!! 
I can eat this everyday in the summer! It's refreshing and makes the house smell really good! 




No comments:

Post a Comment